The Bite-sized Travel Packing List is an email newsletter about travel, planning, packing, nifty finds & more! Click here to subscribe
Hello! It’s good to be back! I spent my week away on Canada’s wonderful West Coast, exploring Vancouver Island and Vancouver proper with great success. I hope you’re having a terrific summer, finding lots of ways to escape the heat, and having adventures galore. Thanks for reading The Packing List, have a great week!
Travel news you can use
- While I was on vacation, Pokemon Go became a thing and I didn’t monitor the internet closely enough to know what it is. Please advise.
- Air Canada created a crowdfunding platform, Embarq, for millennials who can’t afford to fly Air Canada. I can only assume the purpose of the platform is to help The Youths experience traveling 15 hours, getting bumped off their final flight, and then put on hold for 45 minutes. Just like full-fare lame-o grownup customers!
- Air Transat is going to compensate all of the Glasgow-Toronto customers“inconvenienced” by their flight being cancelled because the two pilots were too drunk to fly. That’s so Mad Men, I don’t even know where to begin.
- Some hotels have gotten wind that travelers enjoy the AirBNB experience and are busting their brains to offer less sterile, hotel-like experiences, and more, I dunno, “curated, artisanal” hotel experiences or some nonsense that will make you think you’re not in a hotel.
- Brazil has introduced enhanced airport security screening measuresahead of the Rio Olympics that are creating lots of fun airport chaos.
- There are lots of travel advisories for lots of countries during these troubled times. If you’re Canadian, start here for the most up-to-date list of alerts and advisories.
- AirBNB has hired former US Attorney General Eric Holder to deal with their host discrimination problem.
- Ongoing coverage of TSA’s annus horribilis:
- 14 secrets of TSA agents to make you wonder why anyone would want the job.
- Speaking of which, in his speech accepting the Republican presidential nomination, [Cheeto-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named] said he’ll fix the TSA. So, good luck with that, TSA.
- Visit the museum at the San Francisco Airport to see a photo journey through 80 years of flight attendant uniforms.
- What’s (literally) behind world-famous monuments? A photographer’s journey reveals all.
- Road trip snacks for extra fancy road trippers.
- Requiem for the backpacker – does travel with “purpose” mean the end of the romantic, youthful backpacker?
- UNESCO has announced new additions to its list of World Heritage Sitesand updated the list of World Heritage Sites in Danger. There’s a new Canadian site called “Mistaken Point,” which is probably due for a name change in light of this honour.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has opened a new hotel on the Portuguese island of Madeira that does not feature shirtless Cristiano Ronaldo, but looks nice all the same.
- If you’re Rio-bound for the Olympics, Brazil’s national cocktail, the caipirinha, is about to have a moment.
- What do jazzy tour descriptions mean? Crack the tour jargon code with this list of helpful descriptions.
- The Passport Index compares destination visa requirements for every passport on Earth.
- A ride-on suitcase FOR ADULTS. This is a total gamechanger for when you’re at a ridiculously large airport and need to get from Terminal A to Terminal F.
- No shade, but here are the 10 biggest packing mistakes you’re making.
- A Kickstarter for the traveler who has everything – luggage made from decommissioned airport seating,
- Keep your necklaces from tangling in transit by wrapping them in plastic wrap.
Zipping the suitcase
If you’d like to crowdfund any of my travel, just email me the money or tell me what you think about the newsletter by sending a message directly to email@example.com. Find out more about where I travel on http://bitesizedtravel.ca. See you next week!