The Bite-sized Travel Packing List is an email newsletter about travel, planning, packing, nifty finds & more! Click here to subscribe
Hello! The pace of travel news this week was unreal, let’s dive in and try to make sense of it all. Thanks for reading The Packing List, have a great week!
Travel news you can use
- Canada’s leading export to the United States, snowbirds, could see their allowable stays increased to 8 months, if a bill before US Congress passes. As the article points out, Canadians should be aware they risk losing their health coverage if they’re away TOO long. Stay tuned.
- TSA pat-downs are about to get a lot more aggressive. Jeez, buy a girl a drink first.
- Toronto has launched a new tourism campaign that totally sounds like they’re throwing shade: “Views are different here.”
- Local woman learns she went on vacation in a developing country and then complained to the media about it.
- Once more with feeling: it is up to the traveler to know the passport entry requirements for the country he or she is visiting. Also, I feel like this guy was bragging about how much he spent on his vacation.
- This week in US travel discrimination news:
- Hawaii is suing the United States government following the new travel ban, on the grounds it violates nondiscrimination language in the state’s constitution.
- Meanwhile, a judge in Wisconsin barred enforcement of the new ban.
- The travel ban could scuttle the US’s chances of hosting the 2026 FIFA World Cup.
- A Canadian woman on a spa trip was denied entry to the US and told to go to the US embassy in Ottawa to get an immigrant visa, who had no idea why she was told that. WHO’S ON FIRST?
- To fund the border wall with Mexico, the White House is proposing cuts to a number of agencies, including an 11% cut to the TSA, which is already subject to a hiring freeze. Remember those long lines last year?
- All of your questions about the “visa war” between the United States and the European Union are answered here.
- Celebrate International Women’s Day belatedly by checking out these woman-run tourism businesses around the world.
- Or celebrate by flying around the world with Air India’s all-woman flight crew.
- Getting more women flying is easier said than done.
- Brewdog, the Scottish craft brewer with a whole lot of attitude, is gearing up to launch its first brewery in the US and has launched a crowdfunding effort for a new craft beer-themed hotel and spa in Columbus, Ohio.
- Conan O’Brien gets it:
Planning your next trip
- What’s it like to stay in a now-delisted AirBNB in Trump Tower? The NY Times investigates.
- The travel blogger’s guide to Barcelona.
- There is nowhere near enough coverage of Kenya’s Giraffe Manor for my taste.
- You know you want travel tips from Choupette, Karl Lagerfeld’s cat.
- Fashion designer Azede Jean-Pierre published a photo tour from her recent trip to Haiti. So many of her photos reminded me of the wonderful time I spent traveling there in 2015, since we hit many of the same spots.
Packing lists and tips
- How to gear up and prepare for the trip of a lifetime: Antarctica.
- A good reminder for solo travels: carry these essentials for peace of mind, comfort, and ease of travel.
- Carry-on essentials for all of your March and spring break travel plans.
Zipping the suitcase
Tell me what you think about the newsletter by sending a message directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. Find out more about where I travel here on http://bitesizedtravel.ca. See you next week!