The Bite-sized Travel Packing List is an email newsletter about travel, planning, packing, nifty finds & more! Click here to subscribe
Hello! Has the recent spate of stories about bad airline behaviour changed your booking habits? For me, not really. I wasn’t going to fly Air Canada or United if there was literally any other option. Still, it makes you think about what kind of treatment you’re willing to endure to save $100. Thanks for reading The Packing List, have a great week!
Travel news you can use
- Fyre Festival, a “luxury music festival” on a private island in the Bahamas, allegedly descended into chaos after The Youths (who paid thousands of dollars for ticket packages) suffered the indignity of disorganzation, poor quality sandwiches, and damp tents. On a private island in the Bahamas.
- United Airlines rolled out a series of policy changes that will see compensation increased for voluntary bumping, as well as “refresher training” for gate agents. The training consists of someone from head office shouting in their faces: “Don’t have passengers forcibly removed so they bleed everywhere and we lose $1 billion in value!”
- You probably won’t hear how much money Dr. David Dao got from United, but it’s somewhere between “a lot” and “you can’t count that high.”
- Not one to rest on their laurels, United possibly killed a giant rabbit that was a Guinness World Record contender.
- Southwest Airlines is doing what it can to avoid becoming the next United and will no longer oversell flights.
- Southwest topped a “favourite domestic airline” poll, while United dropped to 6th. Its percentage of the vote was down 66% from last year. OOF.
- This collection of tweets about the many hardships of the Great Fyre Festival Fiasco is too ridiculous.
- Here’s a reason to go hiking: TRAIL CATS.
- I think we can all agree pilots get the best view on an airplane. While the rest of us are trying to sleep upright on long-haul overnight flights, one pilot used a crystal-clear night to capture this glorious timelapse of the Milky Way.
Planning your next trip
- Hate waiting in line? Tips for expedited entry at the world’s busiest tourist attractions, like the Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal.
- Do you have too much money? LVMH, the luxury brand company behind Louis Vuitton and lots of other things I can’t afford, is getting into the “experience” business.
- Wikitravel’s best etiquette advice for traveling to the United States, like “don’t bribe police officers.”
- Google’s Trips app is getting better and better. It now picks up train reservations (helpful for my upcoming trip to Edinburgh and London), but still isn’t picking up my AirBNB reservations.
Packing lists and tips
- No one packed anything this week. I tried, gang!
Zipping the suitcase
Tell me what you think about the newsletter by sending a message directly to email@example.com. Find out more about where I travel here on http://bitesizedtravel.ca. See you next week!