The Bite-sized Travel Packing List is an email newsletter about travel, planning, packing, nifty finds & more! Click here to subscribe
Hello! I’m back from a ten-day adventure in Edinburgh and London, and I’m all revved up to plan more travel and definitely spend more time in Scotland. Trip highlights include: exploring the ruins of the palace where Mary, Queen of Scots was born, spending Canada Day with thousands of Canadian ex-pats and friends at Trafalgar Square, and seeing Adele’s final show at Wembley Stadium (though we didn’t know it would be her last at the time). So much to unpack!
One trip down, more to go: I’ve started planning my upcoming Camino de Santiago in Portugal and will be spending my after-time between Santiago in Galicia, Spain and Porto in Portugal. Gladly receiving your suggestions at firstname.lastname@example.org! Thanks for reading The Packing List, have a great week!
Travel news you can use
- Great news! The laptop ban has been lifted for US-bound flights departing Istanbul, Dubai, and Qatar.
- If you’re going the UK and taking the train (yes, do this), great news! A large number of train companies will start selling advance tickets on the day of travel.
- United Airlines is beyond taking candy from a child, they’re taking seats from them.
- The cost of flying out of my local airport, Halifax Stanfield, is going up by $3. I’ve got raised eyebrow feelings about this.
- Tourists approaching grizzly bears cannot end well. Stop doing it.
- If you’re going to the Calgary Stampede, protect your hat while going through airport screening:
- Here’s a charming story about the guy who runs my favourite Instagram account by my not-favourite government agency, the TSA.
- This probably won’t make a lick of sense to readers outside of Canada, but you have to read about this couple’s cross-country adventure, visiting the site of every Canadian Heritage Minute. Follow their pilgrimage on Instagram.
- Comedy giant Judd Apatow talks about the best things about my next trip: the Just for Laughs festival in Montreal later this month. He also mentions the restaurant Agrikol, co-owned by some Arcade Fire folks and site of a great Haitian meal I had there last year.
Planning your next trip
- A nice reminder of 12 things you should do to travel smartly and securely.
- Here’s a summary of tactics for saving money on tourist attractions, including my favourite, googling “[PLACE] + discount code.”
- Not sure where to go? Check out the world’s most tourist-friendly destinations.
- An American travel writer talks about her experience visiting London after recent terrorist events. I’ve got some thoughts on this as well, once I get them collected, I’ll share.
Packing lists and tips
- Apologies if I’ve shared this before, but this tipsheet for packing like you’re in the Army is a favourite. It is a master class in mastering packing.
- A fella I know is currently cycling across Canada. Check out his packing list to see how you pack for a 6,000km land journey.
- I found packing for Scotland to be incredibly challenging (and I live in a place with a similar climate). Here’s a great packing list for Edinburgh in August – peak festival season.
Zipping the suitcase
Tell me what you think about the newsletter by sending a message directly to email@example.com. Find out more about where I travel here on http://bitesizedtravel.ca. See you next week!