Hello! How’s your summer/winter going? I’m doing my best to fill up the agenda with only-in-summer activities. For Canadians, this involves staying outdoors until the mosquitoes or bears carry you off, or make you a S’more. That’s a fact. Thanks for reading The Packing List, have a great week!
Travel news you can use
- Sensing trouble ahead, Air Transat is throwing money at passengers who were inconvenienced by being trapped on board diverted planes in Ottawa without air or information for hours. Affected passengers are less than impressed with the $400 offer.
- Air Transat continues to blame “factors beyond their control” and offered a litany of excuses. No one’s buying it, pal. A hearing will take place August 30-31 to explore this whole mess further.
- In the midst of tensions with its neighbours, Qatar has lifted entry visa requirements for visitors from 80 countries. Now, visitors from Canada, the US, Australia, NZ and the UK can stay for 30 days (with a possible 30-day extension).
- Americans can’t stop trying to bring guns into Canada at border crossings, even though we definitely do not allow it. Don’t lie to border guards, kids.
- Great news! The stats show US airlines don’t bump passengers very often and bumping rates are at their lowest in 20 years.
- Tourist hotspots in Europe are mad about overtourism:
- Spain’s Balearic Islands are capping available hotel beds and banning unlicensed rentals like AirBNB.
- Anti-mass tourism marches in places like Venice and Barcelona are attempting to counter herds of people arriving on cheap flights and daytrippers from cruise ships.
- Dubrovnik is introducing a daily cap on visitors to its historic old town.
- Barcelona has banned Segways from the Ciutat Vella – Old City including Barri Gotic, El Raval, Barceloneta, and waterfront – for six months, limiting them to prescribed route. Fine by me.
- Dear Internet, do whatever you need to do to keep the TSA Instagram account safe. They are the best at blending useful information with terrific fun. For evidence, check out their recent response to a passenger who wanted to bring their “nun-chuks” in carry-on.
- Things went horribly, horribly wrong when the US State Department printed this woman’s new passport. WE ARE FROM FRANCE.
Planning your next trip
- Overtourism is bad for local communities and travelers. Follow these tipsfor avoiding saturated destinations.
- Good grief: a “wilderness butler” for glamping is a dumb thing that exists.
- I don’t think this is joke: a new cruise line aimed at millennials.
Packing lists and tips
- If you do decide to travel to Qatar, check out this packing list for countries on the Arabian Gulf, written by an ex-pat and aimed at Westerners.
- My biggest packing problem at the moment is finding some way to keep my hands dry while walking/trekking in the rain. A search for “rain gloves” produced nothing useful. What do you do? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Zipping the suitcase
Tell me what you think about the newsletter by sending a message directly to email@example.com. Find out more about where I travel here on http://bitesizedtravel.ca. See you next week!