Hello! It’s been a week. The news was bleak enough this week, then ended with a solid thud after the attack in Barcelona. So, where do we go from here? We go on. Thanks for reading The Packing List, have a great week!
Travel news you can use
- arcelona, among the most-visited cities in Europe (or, dare I say, the world?) is still reeling following a terrorist van attack targeting Las Ramblas. The city is maintaining an information service in three languages (Català, Spanish, and English) to support affected citizens and visitors, including tourists who can’t return to their hotels inside the security perimeter.
- If you’ve visited Barcelona, I can say with near-certainty you have been to the site of the attack. Plaça de Catalunya and Las Ramblas are crowded 24 hours a day, so I can’t even imagine the chaos of the moment.
- The US National Park Service ended its ban on the sale of bottled waterin parks, due to successful lobbying by the bottled water industry. If you’ve ever been anywhere, you know plastic bottles are the world’s most popular litter.
- A study by Hostelworld found the Irish to be the most-traveled people in the world . Next on the list, Australians, New Zealanders, Brits, Canadians, and the Dutch. So, everyone you’ve ever met in a hostel kitchen or bathroom.
- Barcelona dominated news, generally, and the travel news world this week. Without much else to report on, I’ll leave you with this photo from my first trip to Barcelona in 2011. It’s the beautiful Joan Miró mosaic near La Boqueria market. It’s also where the van in Thursday’s attack came to a halt, approximately 500 metres down Las Ramblas.
- Expense reports are The Worst for the average business traveler. The benign absurdity of Buzz Aldrin’s expense report from his 1969 trip to the Moon is delightful.
- Monday’s North American total solar eclipse has people traveling far and wide. It’s too late now to book anything, so here’s everything you need to know to enjoy the eclipse safely from your living room.
Planning your next trip
- Canada is really stepping up when it comes to air passenger rights. Here’s what you need to know about “all-inclusive” flight pricing.
- Here’s a nice blog post about a day trip to the Slovenian countryside from Ljubljana. More importantly, it includes a photo of some happy little goats.
- Maximize your time in national parks while road tripping with one write’s tips and rules gathered over 10 months in 45 US National Parks.
- Post-vacation malaise is real. Tackle it with a plan for re-entering your normal life.
- Adventurous eaters have a distinct travel advantage.
Packing lists and tips
- My thanks to everyone who emailed with tips for rain gloves and soap holders!
- There’s still time to squeeze in an epic summer road trip. The Smarter Living newsletter from the New York Times pulls together everything you need to know – from snacks to managing boredom.
- The hero we need: the man who printed his own face on his luggage.
Zipping the suitcase
Tell me what you think about the newsletter by sending a message directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. Find out more about where I travel here on http://bitesizedtravel.ca. See you next week!