Hello! Is there anything worse, travel-wise, than the period after a trip and before the next trip? I’ve been keeping myself busy by writing about my Caminho Portugues and redecorating. The latter is almost as expensive and way less fun than the former. Hooray!
Over on Bite-sized Travel this week, I wrote about getting my pilgrim credencial for this Camino (thanks, Lori!) and starting this Camino in London. Thanks for reading The Packing List, have a great week!
News you can use
- In a horrifying twist, the scourge of modern travel, bedbugs, have taken to the skies. British Airways apologized to a family traveling from London to Vancouver after they were tormented by bites after a flight (embellishment by me). Really, through, they should apologize to every traveler for this fresh, new horror.
- A recent paper by the US Federal Aviation Administration concludes laptop batteries are too volatile to go in the luggage hold and is proposing a complete ban. This should lead to some interesting inter-agency conflict if the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) wants to ban on laptops in carry-on bags again.
- A petty Quebec dude on a budget Cuban holiday sued Canada’s Sunwing Airlines (the less said about them, the better) for not providing legit champagne on the airline’s “Champagne Service.” Yes, the season of “Canadian budget travelers being whiny in the Caribbean” is upon us.
- Qantas Airlines is pulling out all the stops this summer: offering to pay for the passports of Americans who don’t have them. Americans who also book a flight to Australia.
- Eithad Airways is speaking my language. The airline, based in Abu Dhabi, is piloting lower fares for travelers who travel light, with no checked baggage. FINALLY. A WIN FOR OL’ ME.
- In January 2018, enforcement of the REAL ID Act in the United States means travelers from some states with state-issued identification will need another form of ID to travel. A DHS website provides updates on which states are/are not compliant, and what travelers can do.
- Fun fact: Aer Lingus doesn’t normally fly direct to Copenhagen, buuuuut, Aer Lingus and Ryanair have added extra flights to and from Copenhagen to transport fans eager to watch Ireland in the 2018 World Cup qualifier playoffs against Denmark in November.
Packing lists and tips
- This packing hack infographic had one great thing I had never seen, and bunch of things of varying utility. Attaching earrings to buttons. Neat-o!
- Your regular reminder not to put valuables in your checked luggage: a video of an airport worker rifling through bags. This video confirms baggage theft is a crime of opportunity. Lock your bag (with the locks TSA and other agencies can open), or, if you travel with a backpack, use zip ties on zippers to slow down potential thieves. Or, you can do what I just did: put 3 weeks’ worth of hiking laundry at the top.
Armchair travel & inspiration
- I’m know how lucky I am to have a Canadian passport, so this story about what it’s like to travel with one of the world’s “less powerful” passports was illuminating. And according to its writer: “liberating.”
- Harry Potter tourism is a thing that shows no signs of slowing down – my own 2017 experiences in Edinburgh and Porto confirm this theory. A new exhibition at the British Library in London celebrates the 20th anniversary of the first book, and tickets are selling like hotcakes. Time Out London made a video of the absolute must-sees.
- Lifehacker crowdsourced tips for enjoying Los Angeles. I’ve never been, so I’m bookmarking this for future reference. Taco trucks!
- Travelers who enjoy a tipple and butchering a foreign language should be delighted to know science says your foreign language skills improve after a drink or two. As far as I know, this is true. My proof is a Spanish dinner with free-flowing wine and cheers of “ALBONDIGAS!” (Spanish for ‘meatballs.’)
Zipping the suitcase
Tell me what you think about the newsletter by sending a message directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. Find out more about where I travel here on http://bitesizedtravel.ca. See you next week!